51: Sherrill Mosee Reimagines Tote Bags
Sherrill Mosee set out to create an organizational fashion bag for busy women. As a result, she designed and invented MinkeeBlue totes. Like many women, she often carried two or three bags to work. Sherrill came up with a novel design that facilitates consolidation of everything into one bag. As a result, she has been awarded a patent for her invention.
The idea of creating and launching a product can be very intimidating at first. There are many challenges that must be overcome. During our conversation, we discussed the obstacles that Sherrill faced throughout her journey and she provides some great insight on creating solutions through networking.
Keep it moving. Give yourself a chance to see if you idea will work out.
Her Advice to Aspiring Female Entrepreneurs
- Understand your product category as much as possible
- Make sure that your idea is unique; figure out how to differentiate yourself
- Figure out how much money it will take to get started
- Start off very small and grow from there; Don’t spend a bunch of money initially
Her Biggest Challenge
- Manufacturing – the challenge was in learning and understanding the costs of developing and manufacturing a bag and getting it shipped; this includes sourcing and receiving raw materials, making the product, packaging, testing, freight charges, fees, etc.