16: Karen Kawallek Focuses on Craftsmanship and Finds the Sweet Smell of Success
Karen Kawallek is the founder and creator of Lake Providence Lodge Scented Wax Melts. She started making scented wax melts as a hobby which quickly grew into a full scale business.
I wanted to talk to Karen because she has a corporate day job and generates side income by developing her own products.
Her business philosophies
- Produce a high quality product; market it smartly and be kind.
- It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice.
Her biggest challenges
- Keeping up with logistics: raw material inventory management, etc.
Karen was able to solve her challenges by seeking the aid and guidance of others. In turn, Karen has helped others in their businesses.
Her advice to aspiring female entrepreneurs….
- Don’t be afraid. If basing your business in an interest that you have, pursue it.
- You need a network. Begin building or seeking out that network starting with the people around you.