Candice N. Mackel is a graduate of Morgan State University, a full time entrepreneur, owner of Candice Nicole Public Relations (CNPR) and Creator of Women Who Hustle, which is a women’s organization that recently celebrated one year. She started CNPR 9 years ago and has worked with some of the top talent in music and film including Spike Lee, TI, Meek Mill, Big Boi, Tika Sumptner, Marsha Ambrosius + many more. Candice is also the VP of Marketing for the Alliance of Women in Media (DC Chapter) and the Author of “The PR Puzzle”.
Starting a business takes more than desire. There must also be a willingness to act. It’s impressive that Candice started her PR firm right out of college and I wanted to better understand how she was able to find the courage to start a business at such a young age.
- Always remain a student. Always have an open mind to new things. Never ever think that you know too much.
Her Advice to Aspiring Female Entrepreneurs
- Have thick skin. If someone tells you “no”, you have to keep on pressing on.
- Know that being an entrepreneur doesn’t happen over night. It takes time to build you brand. Never give up on yourself.
- Always remain a student in your industry.
- Realize that you will always have to answer to someone, whether it’s your boss or your customers/clients.
- Condition yourself to be able to multi-task at the beginning.